Sunday, January 11, 2009

Divisional Playoff Weekend II

Well, that went well. I was 0-for-2 on my picks, my team got blown out of the water by a team universally considered the worst of the final eight, and that team didn't even have their top wideout. I don't know that I've ever felt quite so gut-punched by the Panthers, even when John Kasay kicked the ball out of bounds in the Super Bowl.

It felt a lot like the 2005 NFC title game, when Carolina came into Seattle as a popular underdog and just got blitzed 37-7. Steve Smith was triple-teamed the entire game, but proved his worth by returning a punt for a TD in that game. I was actually reminded of it because Mark Jones broke a couple of good kick returns but didn't take any back, and I don't think Carolina has a kick return of any type for a TD since that game.

Anyway, take two:

Eagles at Giants (1 pm, Fox)

The two teams split the regular-season meetings, and the Eagles owned the Giants the second time around. New York just hasn't been the same since Plaxico Burress and Antonio Pierce went out clubbing. Except for one game (oh, against my Panthers, of course), they really just have not been the offensive team they were prior to that incident.

Meanwhile, the Eagles are one of the hottest teams in the league. They are 5-1 since the McNabb benching and were about a half-yard away from having a chance to be 6-0. Brian Westbrook is the best player on the field in this game, and I'm a big proponent of picking the team with the best player on the field unless there is a compelling reason not to (like, say, Tarvaris Jackson). That's why, in an upset, I'm taking the Eagles. Meaning Arizona will host an NFC title game. Oh, boy.

Chargers at Steelers (4:30 pm, CBS)

If San Diego were to win this game and Philly wins theirs, two teams that were a combined one game above .500 in the regular season would host conference title games, which would probably be the single most insane thing to ever happen.

But I don't see it. I don't see Darren Sproles ripping off 300 yards of yardage again. I don't see Phil Rivers being able to dissect the Pittsburgh defense, certainly not in that mud heap Pittsburgh plays on. I don't see Pittsburgh folding in a big spot like the Colts did in overtime and to a lesser extent, in the fourth quarter. I don't see "Seven" making a game-changing mistake or getting rattled by pressure. And I don't see San Diego beating the Steelers today. After all, at least one home team has to win, right?

More later, including Mike Brey's unusually prickly defense of Luke Harangody and UNC possibly going 0-2 in the ACC (???). Enjoy the games.

No comments: